This post may contain affiliate links
Last Updated on May 13, 2023 by Walter
MLB.tv, the US's home for Major League Baseball, has the rights to broadcast every match. MLB.tv has a policy that blackouts certain matches and blocks people from viewing them based on where they are located. This article will show you how to get around MLB.tv blackouts.
You can use a VPN to watch any match, regardless of where you live. However, not all VPNs can bypass MLB.tv geo-restrictions. You can watch all MLB games this year from anywhere in the world, including outside the United States.
Best VPNs for MLB TV
So what is the best VPN for MLB TV? We've tested more than 20 VPNs and picked the best VPN for MLB TV
- NordVPN – Great VPN for MLB.tv
- Surfshark VPN – Great and budget-friendly VPN for MLB.tv
- WeVPN – Good affordable VPN for streaming
Use a VPN to prevent blackouts on MLB TV
No matter where you live, it's easy not to experience blackouts on MLB.tv. Follow these simple steps to avoid blackouts on MLB.tv.
- Get a VPN. This is where we recommend NordVPN or Surfshark VPN for the best results.
- Install the VPN app on your phone.
- Connect to a server at a location that isn't blacked out.
- Search for your favorite game on MLB.tv.
- Enjoy a glass of wine and a good time!
Our detailed list of the Best VPNs for MLB TV
To find out if VPNs can work on MLB.tv, we tested a lot of VPNs. Here's a list of our top 3. For help in choosing the right VPN, read on.
1. NordVPN – Best VPN for MLB TV
Based in: Panama Servers/countries:5100+ servers in 60 countries Unblocks Netflix: Yes Current deal: Get NordVPN 70% OFF + Gift!
NordVPN is the best VPN for you if you want to avoid blackouts on MLB.tv. NordVPN has around 2000 servers in 15+ US cities.
It also uses NordLynx, its modified version of WireGuard, to provide extremely fast and reliable speeds. It was able to achieve an average speed of 249Mbps in our tests.
Apart from this, NordVPN can bypass geo-restrictions on all major streaming platforms including YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
SmartDNS is included, which allows you to view any MLB.tv match on any device, even those that don't support VPN connections.
A VPN is also essential for protecting your online data. NordVPN is the most secure VPN we tested. It boasts a number of security features that will keep your data safe from hackers and your government.
NordVPN customers have access to live chat support 24 hours a day. Its prices are very affordable, starting at $3.49 per month and backed by a 30-day money back guarantee.
For more information, please read our complete NordVPN review.
- Large range of US servers available to avoid MLB.tv blackouts
- NordLynx offers fast speeds to reduce buffering
- Can you unblock all major streaming services
- Our most privacy-friendly VPN
- SmartPlay (Smart DNS), is extremely helpful
- There are many servers to choose from
- Excellent value
2. Surfshark – Best VPN for MLB TV
Based in:British Virgin IslandsServers/countries:3200+ servers in 65 countriesUnblocks Netflix:YesCurrent deal:Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE!
Surfshark is a top VPN provider. It has more than 500 servers located in the US spread over 40 cities. This makes it ideal for avoiding blackouts of MLB.tv.
Surfshark is not afraid to challenge any of the VPN market leaders and uses WireGuard to provide very impressive speeds. We measured an average speed of 263Mbps during our testing.
Surfshark can be used to remove region restrictions from any streaming service, even if you are bored watching baseball. These include BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. GPS spoofing is also available, which is rare. It also offers unlimited simultaneous connections so that you can use it on multiple devices at once.
It offers many security features to protect your data. It also has a strict zero-logs policy so that you are assured that no one is monitoring your activities.
Surfshark offers live chat support for any problems. It's a great value for money with prices starting at $2.30/month and 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, please read our detailed Surfshark VPN review.
- Excellent features packed into very affordable plans
- You can bypass blackouts on MLB.tv with ease
- Amazing speeds for lag-free viewing
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Most streaming services allow you to unblock content
- There are many security features that can be used to protect your home.
- GPS spoofing
Watch MLB TV with Surfshark VPN
3. WeVPN – Great affordable VPN for streaming MLB TV
Based in: CanadaServers/countries:480 servers in 63 countriesUnblocks Netflix: Yes Current deal: Get 55% OFF with a 1-year plan!
WeVPN is an excellent choice if you are looking for a way to unblock specific games on MLB.tv. Why? You can get access to a specific server. WeVPN server starts at $2.59 with a two-year plan.
WeVPN offers unblocking of many streaming services such as Netflix, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer in 26 US cities.
WeVPN, however, is slower than other VPNs, with an average speed just 84 Mb. This was enough to stream with no buffering.
WeVPN is a large service that offers solid security. It has military-grade encryption and DNS leak protection. There's also a reliable kill switch. It is based in Canada which is not a privacy-friendly country.
WeVPN offers live chat support if you need it. The single server plan offers a lot of value at a very affordable price.
You can read our detailed WeVPN VPN review to learn more.
- Amazingly affordable
- Has US servers
- Some plans allow unlimited simultaneous connections
- Can UNBLOCK international content
- It is slower than other VPNs on the list
These VPNs: How we tested them and chose the best
We tested more than 20 VPNs, and considered these criteria when compiling our list of top VPNs for MLB.tv blackout prevention:
- It works with MLB.tv streaming: Although this may seem obvious, many VPNs can't unblock restrictions on MLB.tv. We tried many options before settling on our five favorites. All of them gave us access to the games.
- Speed: You don't want buffering to interfere with your baseball viewing experience. To ensure you don't miss an important match, we selected VPNs that offer fast and reliable streaming speeds that are lag-free.
- Consider whether it offers any additional features. When selecting a VPN it is always worth looking at extra features. There are many extras on our list. We have included SmartDNS, GPS spoofing and Chameleon 2.0.
- Support is essential in the event of any problems. Each option on this list includes live chat support.
- Price is an important aspect of any long-term subscription. We made sure to include pricing options that would suit all budgets in our list.
- Privacy and security: No matter what reason you have for purchasing a VPN, it is vital that you choose one that will keep your online privacy secure. We recommend a variety of VPNs with excellent security options that will protect your data from cybercriminals.
Is it really necessary to use a VPN in order to view MLB.tv
You will need a VPN or proxy to view all MLB.tv games. MLB.tv has a blackout policy for some fixtures. The broadcast will not be shown in the region of either the away or home team. Because local cable networks are the only ones allowed to broadcast these games, this is why. This is also to encourage local fans and to purchase tickets for the matches.
Once you have created a VPN or proxy, you can connect to any server that is located in the same region as MLB.tv to bypass restrictions. Your IP address will be interpreted as being from the region and will allow you to access the game. You can then relax and enjoy the game.
How to use a VPN for MLB.tv blackouts
It's possible to bypass MLB.tv blackouts and watch any MLB games from anywhere in the world, despite what you might think. Follow this step-by-step guide to bypass blackouts on MLB.tv.
- A VPN with a lot of servers in the USA is a good choice. NordVPN is our recommendation.
- Install the software on your device and then complete the sign up process.
- Connect to a server located in an area with access to the game.
- Visit MLB.tv or download the MLB App from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
- You can cheer on your favorite MLB team.
How to avoid blackouts of MLB.tv on your PC
If you are watching MLB.tv on your computer, it is easy to avoid blackouts. These are the steps to follow:
- Register for a VPN service with a wide range of servers in different locations across the US.
- Install the app and complete the registration.
- Log in to your VPN Account
- Connect to a server located in an American city that has the rights for the game to be shown on MLB.tv.
- Start watching MLB.tv from your web browser.
How to avoid MLB.tv blackouts with Fire TV or Fire Stick
Any MLB.tv fixture can be viewed on your Amazon Fire TV, Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV. You only need a VPN. Here's how it works:
- You can choose a VPN provider for your smartphone or computer.
- Install the VPN app via the Amazon Appstore.
- Connect to a server at a location that has the game you are trying to view.
- Enjoy the MLB.tv game by opening the app.
How to avoid MLB.tv blackouts when using Kodi
- Choose a VPN for your smartphone or computer.
- Install the VPN app on your phone and complete the sign-up process.
- You will need to install the OpenVPN addon if the VPN provider you have chosen does not offer one. After you have done that, you will need to set up an OpenVPN connection manually. The steps will be explained by your VPN provider.
- Connect to a server at a location showing the match.
- Start watching MLB.tv by opening the MLB.tv addon for your Kodi.
You can bypass blackouts on MLB.tv in a web browser
A VPN can, among other things, change your IP address to one from another country. Once you have connected to the VPN server, you can clear your cookies and refresh any page that displays the streamed game.
Many VPNs offer native clients that you can download and install. Once you have completed the setup, select a server location to connect.
This was tested by connecting to a Chicago server, and trying to view a Cubs game. We received a message advising us that the game was under local blackout.
Next, we connected using NordVPN to Canada servers. It worked flawlessly. One quick refresh was enough to clear the stream. No more blackout messages.
We tested servers in Argentina and Mexico with Surfshark VPN to see if there are any games that are currently blacked out. This also worked well, as well as WeVPN servers, just a bit slower.
You want to be able to connect to the closest location to you, but not within the blackout area. This will speed up your internet connection and result in a better quality stream. However, if there is a national blackout, you can still connect to another country. Canada is the exception, as some MLB teams are from there.
Is it legal to use VPN to stream MLB TV?
Although it is legal to use a VPN for streaming MLB.tv, you can't bypass blackout restrictions. MLB.tv's terms and conditions state that “If you circumvent or attempt to circumvent any blackout restriction, or other use restriction: your membership will be subjected to immediate termination and a fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00); you could be subjected to legal action. MLB reserves the right not to report such misconduct to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.”
However, we haven’t seen a precedent for the MLB taking such actions against VPN users.
What is the blackout restriction in my MLB app?
Blackout restrictions prevent you from viewing a certain baseball match in your area. You can still bypass these restrictions by connecting to a VPN that connects to a server in another location.
Is NordVPN compatible with MLB.tv
It is definitely the case. NordVPN is our favorite VPN besides Surfshark VPN to bypass blackout restrictions on MLB.tv. It offers great speeds and reliable servers across the US.
Is TV able to block VPNs?
Yes, MLB TV actively blocks VPN servers. If your provider doesn’t regularly rotate its IP addresses or keeps you connected to the same server by default you could find yourself blocked from accessing MLB.tv's region restrictions.
You don't have to miss any of the MLB.tv baseball games if you use a VPN. There are many servers in the US that can provide you with a reliable VPN. You can use your VPN to connect with a server that has the rights for the game. Your device will then appear to have an IP from that place. This will allow you to unblock the content.
This is not the only reason to use VPN. A reliable VPN has many benefits. You can use it to access any streaming service around the globe. A VPN can be used to access Hulu or BBC iPlayer outside of the US or to stream Netflix from a foreign country.
A VPN is an essential cybersecurity tool. It encrypts your traffic to keep it safe against hackers and other third parties. It protects your data when you connect to public Wi-Fi.
We hope we've helped you pick the best VPN for MLB TV. Please let us know what you think in the comments.