This post may contain affiliate links
Last Updated on October 18, 2022 by Walter
Since its debut back in 2009 ExpressVPN can reach the very top of the VPN game. It has established its reputation for outstanding performance and top-of-the-line security. It has also remained accessible to beginners while providing exciting features for more experienced users.
With more than 3 million users across the globe, ExpressVPN deserves our full attention. Does it have the ability to justify its high prices in 2022? Did the change of ownership affect its performance or its privacy policies?
We conducted an extensive hands-on test to test how ExpressVPN performs. Check out our in-depth ExpressVPN Review below and learn more about our testing results and overall experience with the VPN veteran.
ExpressVPN is a user-friendly service that ranks in the middle of the VPN game. It provides user-friendly applications that are simple to download and use. It boasts a wide range of VPN protocols, including a lightning-fast, proprietary alternative known as “Lightway.” AES-256 encryption provides the highest level of security.
ExpressVPN provides more than 3000 servers across 94 countries. The company does not store the activity records or other information which could end up being used to harm you. The most excellent features are the obfuscated servers, Trusted-Server technology and Split Tunneling. It is also able to unlock Netflix US as well as several other geo-restricted services.
Despite all the excellent capabilities, its cost is quite expensive. The recently acquired from Kape Technologies and the choice of CIO have raised some questions.
- Credit card
ExpressVPN a Quick Overview
Speed – How Fast is ExpressVPN?
If your Internet connection isn't as fast there could be slow downloads streaming, gaming, or streaming. To avoid this, We test each of the VPNs for speed to determine whether and in what way they slow your internet connection. Our tests showed that ExpressVPN was very efficient which is why we awarded the company a score of 9/10 for speed.
We have a few conclusions regarding how fast ExpressVPN:
- We were able to keep a good portion of our internet speed while using ExpressVPN.
- There was no apparent variation in speed in everyday use.
- ExpressVPN provides its own speed test built-in.
See also how ExressVPN compares to CyberGhost VPN.
Test results of speed for ExpressVPN
We tried ExpressVPN using our home in the Netherlands. Based on the type of connection you have and your location, you may see different results. The table below provides a general idea of possible performance.
These are the findings of the ExpressVPN Speed test
The speed was a bit slower (even when using the local server). However, the speeds were extremely stable and impressive and let us surf the web without delay. We were able to play anything from streaming to gaming Diablo 2 online.
We didn't encounter any disconnects, stuttering lag, or other issues during our tests. The relatively high pings didn't seem to be affecting anything, though. Within minutes, we were able to connect to any server.
|With and without ExpressVPN in the following countries (MBPS) Upload (MBPS) Ping|
|United States (New York)||87.10||88.73||91|
|United States (Los Angeles)||77.74||88.82||131|
Speed in daily use
ExpressVPN offers excellent speeds in day-to-day operations. We didn't encounter any lag when browsing or working on our own site. Downloading and streaming were no issues also. We could watch YouTube videos and stream YouTube or use Netflix without difficulty.
If we used our recommended server, we did not experience delays while playing. However, in this particular case, you must connect with a service that isn't too far from your current location. In general, ExpressVPN is a good VPN for gaming.
We've been able to keep speedy internet connections through ExpressVPN without causing significant speed dropping. With speedy connections, you'll never notice that ExpressVPN exists. The only situation we wouldn't suggest Express is when your connection speed is already extremely slow, and you need to complete demanding tasks online, such as streaming or playing.
ExpressVPN tests the speed of their app.
ExpressVPN application also comes with an in-built speed test. When you select ” Speed Test,” you'll be in a position to test your speed at suggested servers or all locations. It takes only a few seconds and is only available if your VPN is inactive.
The test will reveal how much latency, which is known as ping in games. It will also show the speed of downloading and the general speed index. The ExpressVPN website there's a simple guide that explains the software further and aids you in making the right choice when it comes to servers.
Safety – How Secure is ExpressVPN?
Here's a brief overview of ExpressVPN's security features
- ExpressVPN uses 256-bit encryption.
- It is compatible with OpenVPN IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, and Lightway protocols.
- Despite the recent scandals, ExpressVPN has stuck with its strict “no logs” policy.
- It is equipped with an automated kill button.
- The obfuscation function of ExpressVPN is automatic; however, it can be challenging to locate.
- To open an account, you only need an email address and a payment method.
The performance and flexibility of your VPN will depend on the VPN protocols. They guarantee constant speeds and permit you to circumvent online restrictions and even unblock Netflix US for instance. Each VPN tunnel has strengths and flaws, so having many options can be a good thing in our opinion.
ExpressVPN has the following protocols supported:
- HTTP/OpenVPN (TCP/UDP): This is the most widely used open-source alternative that offers a superior security-speed balance. It's an all-purpose protocol that can meet the demands of the majority of VPN users. Utilize TCP to overcome challenges like the Great Firewall of China. UDP is the ideal choice for streaming, secure video conferencing, and other jobs requiring the fastest speed.
- IKEv2 The protocol is highly efficient and has less CPU usage than OpenVPN. It's great for users on mobile devices since it can switch between Wi-Fi and mobile networks without affecting the connection or risking data leaks.
- L2TP/IPSec: A speedy and a little secure VPN tunnel that is resource-intensive and difficult to block. We wouldn't recommend it unless you're running excellent internet speed or, even better, it's best used as an option last resort when OpenVPN and Lightway aren't available.
- Lightway (TCP/UDP): This is ExpressVPN's exclusive protocol, which mirrors the speed of WireGuard and adds TCP Support, Obfuscation, and improved security. It was also independently reviewed by Cure53. Like the IKEv2 protocol, Lightway will not lag when switching from one network to another or dropping a connection. Instead of stopping the connection, it will remain inactive until you connect with the exact ExpressVPN server. With just 2,000 lines of program code, Lightway helps you save your batteries, uses less CPU power, and gives fewer targets to hackers.
ExpressVPN utilizes the AES-256 encryption algorithm to decrypt your online data. It can be one of the safest encryption techniques that we currently have. It's also utilized by banks, military hospitals, and other institutions that have to secure sensitive information.
Aside from AES, Lightway also supports ChaCha20 encryption. AES has excellent hardware acceleration. However, it is present on the majority of devices. This means that Lightway will be using ChaCha20 for lower-end mobile devices and low-powered routers.
If unsure of the most suitable protocol, you could allow the ExpressVPN client to decide for you. It will select the best choice based on your connection speed, location, and hardware configuration.
Privacy and logging
ExpressVPN is located in the British Virgin Islands. Despite the name and being officially a region of the UK, however, the territory is controlled by its own laws. This absence of regulations regarding data retention is a reason to make it an ideal VPN location. Also, it is not a part of the Eyes alliance.
ExpressVPN doesn't store any user logs that are harmful to users. This is a huge relief as there is a possibility that BVI Supreme Court has the power to order the company to reveal the customer's records. If it does, ExpressVPN won't have any IP addresses, traffic details, browsing history, or DNS queries they can hand over. That's right: they do not collect any information that could positively identify you or link your internet traffic to you.
After that, this is the data that ExpressVPN does gather:
- Personal details such as email address or payment option (remain completely anonymous by supplying a new email and then paying for your subscription via Bitcoin)
- The aggregate VPN usage stats the version you have installed and successful connections on a specific day (without providing the date or date and time) and your ISP or country (but not your actual IP) and the VPN servers that you were connected with (but not the IP you were assigned) and the total amount of data that was transferred.
- Anonymous App Diagnostics: VPN connection diagnostics usability tests, speed results, and crash reports (sharing the data is not required, and you may switch it off at any time)
- Support records for customers Contact ExpressVPN's customer service and your country's operating system, country and any other information that could help you troubleshoot
“We may know THAT a customer has used ExpressVPN, but we never know HOW they have utilized our Service… ExpressVPN does not collect any IP addresses, browsing history, traffic data, or DNS queries that could be used to identify any specific user.”
You are entitled to request access to, modify the data, erase it, or refuse any processing that involves your personal information. All you need to do is reach out to the company via email at [email protected] to tell them what you would like them to accomplish.
Daniel Gericke controversy
ExpressVPN's Chief Information Officer, Daniel Gericke, was punished for his involvement in the UAE's program “Raven,” the US Department of Justice. As a UAE hacker who was a mercenary, Gericke was believed to be involved in hacking attacks on American citizens, political adversaries, and people who advocated for human rights. Even though this happened prior to Gericke's involvement with ExpressVPN, his work with these surveillance methods led to concerns within the American community.
In the formal statement, ExpressVPN is adamant about its CIO. They have criticized the project as a whole. However, they also said the fact that “hiring an ex-offender is the best defense.” Time will tell if this is the case.
Kape Technologies acquires ExpressVPN.
In September 2021, Kape Technologies announced the purchase of ExpressVPN for $936 million. Kape Technologies also owns CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, and a few other VPNs. Based on the opinions of those involved, the ExpressVPN acquisition should not affect the company's independent operation.
The team at ExpressVPN is analyzing the possible consequences of these latest developments. As of now, we can provide no evidence that ExpressVPN's security or security has been affected. We'll keep investigating and keep you updated with the latest information.
Any VPN may fail or drop your connection for any reason. Just a couple of seconds of stuttering is enough to cause your IP to be exposed. That's the reason why many VPNs use the kill switch. This safety feature blocks all traffic on the internet until VPN security restores.
ExpressVPN includes an auto-kill feature that works on Windows, Mac, and Linux as well as routers. They call it ” Network Lock,” which is the name of a fancy kill switch. While we do not advocate this, you could turn it off on Windows, Mac, and Linux (but not on routers).
ExpressVPN's Android application has the same feature; however, it's not explicitly named Network Lock. It lets you block internet access if you cannot connect or connect via your VPN. It also provides complete leak-proofing, which blocks all non-VPN connections. However, this can stop certain VPN features, such as split tunneling.
A few of the scenarios where your kill switch could be activated are:
- Switching between Wi-Fi networks with the wrong protocol can't maintain the connection
- A flashing signal or ISP's temporary outage
- Shutting down your laptop or setting it to sleep
- Turning on or off
ExpressVPN is described as it is a “stealth VPN,” which means that at the very least, some of its servers use the known as “obfuscation” technology. This feature disguises your VPN traffic so that it appears like normal browsing. It can be used for various purposes, from blocking Netflix to tackling internet restrictions. With stealth servers, even deep packet inspection will not be capable of “seeing” that you're using VPN.
Despite that the information on ExpressVPN's obfuscation technology is limited. We discovered no blog posts or setup guides and none of the information at all. It's a bit surprising considering that other providers offer the same kinds of explanations. With Surfshark, for instance, the obfuscation feature (which they refer to as “Camouflage”) activates automatically as you change to OpenVPN.
Naturally, we tried our hand with the customer service support staff; however, they could not offer any assistance.
After a lot of technical acrobatics and acrobatics, we discovered that ExpressVPN has this feature. It is activated automatically whenever the system detects the deep inspection of packets. This happens without even realizing it.
We are sure that ExpressVPN can shed more insight into their obfuscation tech. It shouldn't be necessary to go through numerous hoops to verify that a particular feature exists.
ExpressVPN tests for leaks (no leaks)
I put the ExpressVPN applications through a few simple VPN tests to find any issues or potential problems. The primary testing website I used was ipleak.net. I could not detect any leaks or security issues in either of the ExpressVPN applications.
Below is a screenshot of one of our tests that we ran which showed no flaws in the desktop client that runs Windows:
ExpressVPN didn't have any leaks during our tests for this review.
Through the tests above you can see the IPv4 address is identical to that of the New York server location, with the IPv6 address blocked. Its DNS leak tests reveal that ExpressVPN servers handle all DNS requests. We didn't find any leaks, and we rate this as among the top VPNs available for Windows.
I also tested my ExpressVPN Mac OS application and its Android application by running the exact leak testing. Similar to earlier tests, no leaks were detected. The same tests we used in the NordVPN comparison guide and Surfshark VPN comparability guide.
What data does ExpressVPN require?
The only requirements for creating an ExpressVPN account are an email address and a payment method. You will remain anonymous if you use a fresh email address (without any identifiable information) and pay using Bitcoin.
Usability – How User-Friendly is ExpressVPN?
ExpressVPN is an accessible VPN provider. If this is your first VPN, it will be easy to access its website or clients. This is the reason why it received a 9/10 user-friendliness rating.
Here's the quick version of our conclusion:
- The ExpressVPN website is simple and simple to navigate.
- Installation is quick and straightforward for any device and operating system.
- ExpressVPN's clients are user-friendly and user-friendly.
- The VPN provides a reliable splitting tunneling feature.
- ExpressVPN can be found on the pricey side.
- The cryptocurrency payment method is accepted.
- ExpressVPN provides 24/7 customer support (live chat is also available).
- The knowledge that the support staff has isn't in the place it is needed to be.
ExpressVPN website and the process for installing it
The ExpressVPN website is easy and simple to use. The interface is natural and well-organized. Even VPN beginners will not have difficulty navigating the interface and getting ExpressVPN running.
Clicking the ” My Account” button at the top-right corner will bring up your dashboard. You can modify the payment methods you use, install software for platforms that are supported, look up invoices, obtain referral links, play with DNS settings and even change your password. You can also look up the details of your subscription and control the settings for your subscription.
It was easy to install. Installation of ExpressVPN was fast and straightforward. The simple-to-install wizard guides you through every step of the procedure. ExpressVPN provides native applications for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and some routers. If ExpressVPN doesn't support your device, you can configure ExpressVPN by hand using OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec. We don't suggest this method unless you're sure of your procedure.
ExpressVPN supports Chrome, Firefox, and Edge for extension extensions for browsers. We did not have the option of installing Microsoft Edge. Microsoft Edge extension from our client. In addition, Express can be used with Android TV, Fire TV & Kindle Fire Gaming consoles, Apple TV, Chromebook, and a host of other platforms.
In this ExpressVPN review, we mainly test the Windows application. Here are the steps to install it:
- Visit ExpressVPN's website.
- Simply click on ” Get Started” in the upper-right corner.
- Choose your subscription plan.
- Give the necessary details (email or payment option).
- Download the set-up file to your system.
- Simply click on the download document to install it. The installation process will begin in a sequence.
- After installation, enter your activation code.
During the installation process, you'll be required to answer two different inquiries:
- “Do you desire ExpressVPN to initiate with Windows?” This is extremely efficient, and we'd recommend clicking “Yes.”
- “Do you want to share crash information, speed tests, usability diagnostics, and whether VPN connection tries succeeded?” We don't want to share any of these details with companies; therefore, we suggest you opt for “No” on this one.
With this information being said, I can say that the setup of ExpressVPN is easy to learn and simple to the point of. We particularly like the ease of signing up for an account and buying an account in just one step.
The number of servers and the locations
ExpressVPN provides 3000+ servers distributed over 94 different countries. With this incredible server network, you'll always be able to locate the right location to meet your requirements. You'll be able to, naturally, change between servers as often and for as long as you'd like.
Its list of locations can be accessed via the client's home screen. If you click the shortcut for location under the button to turn off or on, there will be a list in the middle of the main screen.
Here, you can view the servers you have visited to make it easier to access. You can also create an inventory of your top servers. The ” Smart Location” tool will select the best server for you according to your location, ping, and connection speed. The ” All Locations” tab lists all available servers organized by continents.
ExpressVPN has servers available within the countries listed below:
- Europe: Andorra, Albania, Austria, Armenia, Belgium, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Finland, Germany, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Isle of Man, Jersey, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and United Kingdom.
- Americas: Argentina, Bolivia, Bahamas, Brazil, Chile, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
- Asia Pacific: Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam.
- Middle East & Africa: Algeria (virtual via the Netherlands), Egypt, Israel, Kenya, and South Africa.
It is important to note that about three percent of ExpressVPN's networks are ” virtual servers.” This signifies that the IP address you've been assigned corresponds to the country you've selected; however, the server physically is somewhere else (usually in a nearby country but this is not the case all of the time.).
If your connection is to Serbia, the traffic will be directed to one of the servers located in the Netherlands and assigned a Serbian IP address. It will appear to originate from Slovenia. However, it's not actually connected to an actual server in the country.
ExpressVPN makes use of virtual solutions for countries where accessing servers of high quality is complex. It can provide access to these countries without sacrificing speed or security. The complete range of ExpressVPN virtual servers is accessible at their site.
The design and user-friendliness of ExpressVPN's interface
The ExpressVPN client is exceptionally stylish as well as professional. Its home page is free of complicated options, making it very user-friendly for beginners. Every feature “regular users” might need is at their fingertips. A few advanced options are accessible when you get to the top.
The main window has the main switch to turn off or on and a shortcut to toggle between the servers. This Windows client also displays interesting posts on The company's website at top of the page.
The hamburger menu located in the upper-left corner lets you to:
- Start the server list.
- Conduct a speed test in the client.
- You can access it through the “Options” menu.
- Contact customer support.
- Verify your IP address, and then test for leaks in DNS/WebRTC.
- Find your referral link.
- Log out.
ExpressVPN's client offers many options for novice and advanced users. We like the simple style and we give Express an enormous thumbs-up on its interface for users. VPNs with complex clients, such as Windscribe, can learn a few things from ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN Customer service
In regards to the customer support offered by ExpressVPN, We were keen on three aspects:
- The quality of help materials available on the official site (FAQs and setup/troubleshooting guides and more)
- The wide variety of communication options (live chat emails, live chat tickets, live chat)
- The response time and knowledge provided by the customer support staff
ExpressVPN provides well-rounded information of its services on its website. You'll be able to resolve various issues by reading their troubleshooting and configuration guides.
This feature of searching will require some work, but. It is common to see many results that have nothing to do with relate to our search terms. The FAQ section, too, feels somewhat tinny.
The company runs a 24-hour live chat, which is an enormous positive in our opinion. This service is available to customers who pay for it and people who are just passing through. In our tests during this ExpressVPN review, We only needed a few seconds before beginning our conversation with an operator for support. They were friendly and eager to assist but were not always knowledgeable.
We couldn't have a Live chat function when our adblocker was in use. Live chat offered by ExpressVPN is hosted through a third-party platform known as SnapEngage. It uses eight essential cookies and cannot launch this live chat if your browser is blocking the cookies.
It is also possible to use email and support tickets through ExpressVPN. These services are offered through a third-party platform known as Zendesk.
ExpressVPN Split tunneling
ExpressVPN provides split tunneling. This beneficial VPN feature lets you select which applications are connected through the VPN and which ones can be connected straight to the web. You will find this option within your client's “General Settings” tab in your client.
You can set up split tunneling by using two methods:
- Exclude applications. Do you want all of your applications but Firefox to be able to use this VPN? You should install ExpressVPN to ensure that only Firefox does not use an encrypted VPN tunnel.
- Only allow a handful of applications. This could be helpful if you want to use your VPN to download torrents. It is possible to add an application for torrents to the split tunnel setting of ExpressVPN.
Split tunneling reduces bandwidth and improves the speed of your connection. Secured traffic is slower, which means it consumes more bandwidth. Split tunneling allows you can use reliable apps and websites without VPN security.
Methods of payment and pricing
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly priced higher than the competition, and costs are higher than other rivals, such as NordVPN, Surfshark VPN, CyberGhost VPN and PIA VPN. One could claim that their impressive array of features is worth the cost. Using the 30-day money-back promise and obtaining a free ExpressVPN trial is possible. This gives you plenty of time to evaluate the application for free and determine whether it is a good fit for your needs.
ExpressVPN provides three subscription plans that are different:
- One month: $12.95 per month
- 6 Months: $9.99 per month
- 12-months: $8.32 per month
ExpressVPN will accept the following methods of payment:
- Credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover JCB, Diners Club International)
- Different regional payment options (WebMoney, Klarna, iDeal, UnionPay, Sofort, Giropay and many more)
Be aware that the subscription will renew automatically regularly. You can disable this via your “Manage Subscription Settings” tab within your personal dashboard on the site.
Finally, you will receive the first 30 days of an ExpressVPN subscription free of charge by referring someone else to sign up. You can refer to as many people as you like even if they were ExpressVPN clients. If you sign up for ExpressVPN via Google Play or App Store but not through the App Store, you will not be qualified for the free 30 days. If you're being charged via PayPal and you're billed through PayPal, you'll be able to claim a cashback reward in the balance of your PayPal account. The amount is equal to a one-month contract according to your current plan.
Server Network – Can ExpressVPN Unblock the Internet?
A server's VPN network is crucial for anyone who wants to get around geographic restrictions. For example, you could connect to a VPN server in the US to stream a show on Netflix. This is the American edition of Netflix. Furthermore, suppose your country's government restricts what you can do and watch online. In that case, you could redirect your connection to a different country's server, allowing you to connect to the internet.
ExpressVPN's current configuration scores a rating of 8.5/10. The most important points to consider about the Server network include:
- ExpressVPN offers more than 3000 servers across 94 different countries.
- Servers function for different streaming platforms, such as Netflix.
- With ExpressVPN, it is possible to torrent securely and in complete anonymity.
- ExpressVPN's servers use TrustedServer technology to ensure a truly “no logs” policy and added security.
- ExpressVPN does not offer dedicated IP addresses.
ExpressVPN streaming (Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, BBC iPlayer)
Despite offering just the shared IP address, ExpressVPN truly is an unblocking geo strength. Its use of obfuscation in conjunction with hundreds of IP addresses could contribute to this. ExpressVPN is compatible when used with Netflix US and Netflix US, along with many different regional variations. It's included on our list of the top VPNs for Netflix because it is.
With Netflix increasing the VPN restriction, the number of VPNs that can open it shrinks daily. ExpressVPN is definitely among the VPNs which hasn't quit the battle. We were able to stream an array of Netflix shows and films without lag or proxy errors. In addition, ExpressVPN also works with other popular platforms, such as Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+.
ExpressVPN and torrents
If you cannot start your day without opening UTorrent, ExpressVPN is the service for you. It lets you use anonymous P2P file sharing on all its servers without throttled speeds. Make sure that your kill switch is in place. Dropping connections that leak your IP address while downloading torrents is never a pleasant experience.
As always, we want to clarify that We do not endorse or endorse illicit torrenting. Downloading content with copyrights can have serious legal consequences. In certain nations, it may result in jail time.
Traditional VPN servers typically rely on hard drives that store information until it's erased and rewritten. This poses a risk of hackers stealing sensitive data. ExpressVPN tackled this issue by the introduction of its “TrustedServer” technology.
Instead of hard drives, the servers run with volatile memories (or RAM). Every server's data is erased when the server is shut down. This stops both data and potential attackers from remaining on the machine.
RAM-only approach also ensures that every server runs the latest software. This means that every ExpressVPN server runs precisely the same software. This ensures that the network is simpler for management and minimizes the possibility of security issues and configuration errors.
TrustedServer tech was inspected through PwC in addition to a prize of $100,000 through ExpressVPN's bug bounty program designed explicitly to identify security problems within TrustedServer.
An IP address that is dedicated to the user
Private IP addresses are tied directly to the account you created, meaning you are the only one who can use the IP addresses. Your IP stays the same for each connection. However, ExpressVPN doesn't offer dedicated IPs(or static IPs in that case).
The company decided to go with dynamic IP addresses that are shared. You'll receive an entirely different IP each when you join servers. It could even be the same address you had previously used to connect, based on availability. “Shared” refers to the fact that you'll be sharing your IP with other “shared” part means that you'll be sharing your IP address with thousands or hundreds of active users.
Shared IPs are great for torrenting because the P2P traffic you send can be lost in the crowd of other users using the same IP address. They provide more security because of this reason. But finding that a VPN large such as ExpressVPN does not provide the option of dedicated IPs (even with an additional cost) is a bit surprising.
ExpressVPN browser extensions
ExpressVPN offers browser extensions to Chrome or Firefox browsers. This browser extension is an extension of the ExpressVPN desktop application. It means that you'll have to have ExpressVPN desktop applications. ExpressVPN Windows, Mac OS, as well as the Linux Desktop application.
What is the reason to use an extension for your browser if you can use your desktop VPN application?
The main benefit of using the browser application is the ease of use. It lets you quickly switch servers directly from your browser instead of going to an on-desktop VPN client. There are additional benefits from ExpressVPN browser extensions: ExpressVPN Extensions for browsers:
- Block WebRTC leaks in your internet browser (WebRTC is a security risk that could reveal your IP address even when using an effective VPN).
- Make a fake of your HTML5 geolocation information in the browser.
- HTTPS Everywhere automatically connects to the more secure HTTPS variant of websites when it is available.
Here's how is the ExpressVPN browser extension appears in Firefox:
It can also be configured to either dark or light mode. We tested ExpressVPN's extension using Chrome browsers and rated it among the top VPNs to use with Chrome. All worked flawlessly in our tests.
Does ExpressVPN work in China?
Despite current VPN blockades and censorship attempts, ExpressVPN continues to work in China at times. When speaking to some of the people in China, we've learned that there are occasions when all VPNs are blocked. But, ExpressVPN (like a few other VPNs) is quick to implement solutions and bypass any restrictions.
To use ExpressVPN to use ExpressVPN in China, simply join one of the designated servers in China (check through support to find the servers). The servers will automatically use an obfuscation method with the VPN app and disguise the VPN traffic in standard SSL encryption. This simple way to bypass all the Great Firewall and censorship efforts.
Check out the top VPNs that work with China guide for more information and setup advice.
How many connections can you receive with ExpressVPN?
You'll receive five simultaneous connections when you sign up for your ExpressVPN subscription.
Be aware that you can use ExpressVPN with unlimited numbers of computers, but you're limited to up to 5 concurrent connectivity at the moment with your subscription.
If you wish to use more than five VPN devices, there's an easy way. You can use ExpressVPN in your router, as we did earlier, to allow unlimited connections. The router will be counted as only one connection. You'll be allowed to use it on any number of devices you like.
Does ExpressVPN work with gaming?
There are several benefits of using a VPN to play games — however, you must choose the best VPN. Some of the most important aspects you'll need to consider are:
- A vast server network with places in the areas that you require
- Rapid speeds to ensure the rest of the players don't slow you down.
- Low Ping (latency) This is enhanced by having fast servers close to your place of residence
Although ExpressVPN isn't the most reliable VPN in gaming, it's an acceptable choice with good performance.
Final Verdict – Would I suggest ExpressVPN?
Yes, we advise using Express VPN. I do suggest ExpressVPN.
They are among the best VPNs available today. They offer top-notch security and make it simple to secure as many devices as possible without slowing down.
It's a good choice for the best VPN service in most areas. They provide reasonable speeds and stable connections. If you're browsing for a while or playing intensely, ExpressVPN will secure your internet connection without causing excessive delays or endless loading screens.
ExpressVPN gives you the most secure encryption. Due to their no-logging solid policy and RAM-only servers, you won't have to worry about your privacy. Furthermore, the kill switch can improve your privacy by securing your information. The company experienced some troubling changes recently, but there is no evidence of any adverse effects.
ExpressVPN is user-friendly, easy to use with simple applications, and easy to install. The website and the software are simple and do not use complicated choices. This makes their service available to all casual internet users, streamers, and gamers with high technical expertise. The FAQ section on their website needs some updating, though. Live support staff could also enhance their problem-solving abilities in technical areas.
However, ExpressVPN's cost-per-month rates are a little high, particularly for longer subscriptions. It's a good quality service, but we believe the same service could be found for less. It is still one of the top choices on our site at My VPN hub, and we would recommend it, unless your internet speeds are extremely slow.