Last Updated on November 12, 2021 by Walter
Do you travel often and want to watch Japanese Netflix anywhere in the world? No problem, we can help you with that. Netflix has a tendency to change its content based on where you live. In Japan, for example, there are new episodes of popular anime like Attack on Titan every week. However, viewers in other countries may have to wait several months to view these episodes. VPNs allow you to secure access Netflix from any location in the world.
How does it all work? VPNs transmit your internet traffic to a server located in another country. This hides your IP address and makes it appear that you are located in another country. You could also use a Japanese VPN server while abroad to access Japan-only services. VPNs also encrypt your data to prevent it from being viewed by network admins or snoopers.
How to Access Netflix Japan While Travelling Abroad
In the image below you'll see the info you'll get when trying to access Netflix Japan from abroad:
Although it might sound complicated, VPNs are much simpler than you would think. Here's a quick guide for streaming Japanese Netflix.
Here are some ways to access Japanese Netflix from anywhere.
- Sign up now for a reliable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, but Surfshark or WeVPN are high-quality options.
- Get your VPN app. The majority of VPN apps allow for five to six connections simultaneously, so you can secure other devices once the app has been installed on the device you want to stream.
- Log in to connect to a Japanese server. This will give you a Japanese IP address.
- Go to Netflix and search For To Your Eternity, a Japan-only title. Clearing your cookies or reloading the page may help. Or you might try another server. For further assistance, contact your VPN support team.
WANT TO TRIPLE YOUR RISK-FREE OPTION FOR THE BEST VPN?
Sign up here to receive a risk-free, 30-day NordVPN trial. The VPN rated #1 in Japan for Netflix Japan is available for use for 30 days without restrictions. This is great if you are looking to catch up on your favorite shows while on a short vacation overseas.
It's easy for new users to be overwhelmed by all the VPN services competing for your attention. Let me tell you, services that claim they are the best at all things rarely are. A well-rounded VPN can handle all your daily tasks and more. We made this decision to recommend only services that meet all the criteria.
- Japan has fast servers
- It works with Netflix Japan and, ideally, other Japanese streaming service providers
- It uses a variety of security features to protect you online
- Keeps no logs that could be used to identify any individual.
- Apps for all major operating system
The best VPNs for Japanese Netflix
Let's take a look at the VPNs that we recommend for Netflix Japan.
The best VPNs to stream Japanese Netflix
- NordVPN is our top VPN for Netflix Japan. It is known for its powerful security tools and fast speeds. It can be used with many services and comes with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark is the best way to stream Japanese Netflix without breaking the bank. It offers excellent privacy and security credentials. You can also enjoy fast speeds and no connection limit. There are no logs.
- WeVPN: This is a well-respected provider that offers lightning fast speeds and allows you to access more than half a dozen regional Netflix libraries. We take security very seriously.
- CyberGhost is a simple-to-use VPN that has servers in Japan. It comes with pre-configured security tools, and high-speed servers in more than 90 countries.
- IPVanish is a security-focused service that works with Netflix Japan. It's fast enough to stream uninterrupted video without interruptions. This allows you to protect all your devices at once.
- PrivateVPN is a zero-logs VPN that offers high speeds and many security features. It works flawlessly with Netflix Japan.
Best VPN to Watch Netflix Japan
Let's have a closer look at the top VPNs for Japanese Netflix.
NordVPN is the first choice for Japanese Netflix. You have access to over 5,400 servers in 59 countries, including Japan. You shouldn't experience any problems watching Netflix and Amazon Prime Video because it's one the fastest providers available. You can also connect up to six devices simultaneously to your account so you can protect all of them at once.
This provider also comes with security features. The provider offers 256-bit AES encryption that prevents anyone from seeing what your online activities are, protection against IPv6, WebRTC leaks, and a kill button. The service can block advertisements and automatically scan for malware. NordVPN does not keep logs. Live chat is available 24 hours a day if you have any questions.
NordVPN users have access to iOS, MacOS Android, Windows, Windows, and Linux applications. It is also possible to manually install the service on compatible internet routers.
- Fast enough to stream 4K video
- Uses Japanese Netflix with ease
- Innovative security features
- Keeps no logs
- Live chat available round-the-clock
- Sometimes desktop apps can be slow
BEST VPN FOR JAPANESE TV: NordVPN has been our first choice to watch Japanese Netflix. It offers steady speeds and a strong emphasis on privacy. The provider offers a 30-day money back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free.
Learn more about NordVPN in our complete review.
Save 72% on your 2-year plan
Get the Deal
Surfshark is our top budget choice. It boasts around 3,200 servers across 65 countries. The Tokyo-based servers can be used with platforms such as Netflix Japan or Fuji TV. The speeds are fast and sufficient for HD live streaming. The service does not have bandwidth limits or connection limitations, so you can watch as much as your heart desires, from any device and any location.
Surfshark's greatest strength is security. It offers 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection and a kill switch to protect your identity and activities against snoopers. This VPN also includes a NoBorders mode that allows you to bypass country-wide restrictions, such as those in China. Surfshark does not keep logs so it can't tell you what you've done online. Live chat and email support are available 24/7.
Surfshark includes its own Windows, MacOS Linux, Android and iOS apps. You can also manually configure it to work with many wireless routers if you prefer.
- Provides reliable and fast service
- Great for streaming
- Secure features that work
- Zero-logs provider
- All your devices are protected at once
BEST BUDGET VPN: Surfshark is a low-cost option that performs as well as higher-priced alternatives. It has no connection limitations and offers exceptional privacy and security. There is also a 30-day money back guarantee.
Check out the entire Surfshark review.
Enjoy 3 months FREE when you sign up for a 2-year contract
Get the Deal
Automatic Discount 82%
WeVPN has more than 3,000 servers across 94 countries, Japan included. This VPN is our favorite among all of the ones we tested. It's fast enough to stream 4K TV shows on Netflix or live TV on NHK and Nippon TV. It also works with many services outside Japan like YouTube TV or HBO Max. You can connect up to five concurrently at any given time.
This provider is very concerned about your privacy. It uses 256-bit encryption that is virtually unbreakable. Additionally, it protects against DNS leaks and IPv6 leaks. There's also a kill switch to prevent you accidentally browsing unprotected. WeVPN does not log any information that could be used to identify you. It even allows users to pay in Bitcoin to add an extra layer of anonymity. Support is available 24/7 via the live chat.
WeVPN supports MacOS, Linux and Windows as well as iOS and Android apps. You can also use it to protect your entire network simultaneously with its router firmware.
- The fastest VPN available
- Uses over a dozen Netflix libraries
- Make sure you are secure
- Accepts Bitcoin and keeps no traffic logs
PERFECT for NETFLIX. WeVPN is compatible with many regional catalogs, including Netflix Japan. You can stream 4K videos with ease thanks to its speed. This VPN is worth considering. It offers a 30-day money back guarantee, a variety of security features, as well as servers in 94 countries.
CyberGhost boasts a network that is larger than any other provider on our list. It has approximately 7,000 servers in 91 different countries, 50 of which are located in Japan. It also offers streaming servers that can be used with Hulu and Netflix in just one click. The provider offers consistent speeds and no bandwidth limitations. Each account can have up to seven simultaneous connections.
The VPN allows you to stream securely using 256-bit encryption, kill switch, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaked, and it is enabled by default. CyberGhost does not log any personally identifiable information, so you won't be able to trace your activities back to yourself. This service is user-friendly and offers 24/7 support via live chat and email.
CyberGhost offers apps for Linux and MacOS Windows as well as Android and iOS. You can manually install the VPN on any supported router if you want to protect every device in your home network.
- There are dozens of Japanese fast food restaurants
- Servers optimized to support some of your favourite streaming services
- A wide range of privacy and security features
- Live chat available 24/7
- Power-users might be disappointed by the lack of advanced configuration options
SPEEDY and SECURE:CyberGhost runs very fast with pre-configured security features. It also has solid streaming potential. It even has servers that can be used to securely access Netflix Japan from abroad. The user-friendly provider offers a 45-day guarantee of your satisfaction.
IPVanish boasts more than 1,600 servers across 60+ countries. There are 20 in Tokyo alone. Although it isn't the best VPN for accessing restricted services, it's better than NHK and Netflix Japan. Users can stream their favorite shows from all their devices thanks to the VPN's stable speeds and absence of any connection limit.
This provider offers a wide range of security features. There's 256-bit encryption, kill switch, protection against IPv6 leaks, and protection against DNS leaks. Users can also choose to either block all local connections or scramble their traffic, which could allow you to access VPN-blocking services. You can trust this provider to keep your privacy private. Live chat is available to assist you 24/7.
IPVanish apps can be installed on Windows, Android, MacOS and iOS. It can also be manually installed on Linux systems as well as supported wireless routers.
- Unlimited bandwidth and high speeds
- Uses Netflix US and Japan
- One of the best privacy and security offerings available on the market
- Does not have bandwidth or connection limits
- It doesn't work as well with all streaming services as the others on this list.
STREAM ANYWHERE – IPVanish allows you to connect multiple devices simultaneously. It is a great choice if you like to stream Netflix from your mobile device. It also offers an impressive set of security features, including a no-logs policy and a 30-day guarantee for your money back.
PrivateVPN's network is smaller than others on this list with only 200 servers located in 63 countries (Japan included). It makes up for this by offering above-average speeds, and the ability to securely access many popular platforms. This service is great for streaming Amazon Prime Video, Hulu or Disney+. You can safely browse, torrent, or stream from anywhere you are thanks to the six-connection limit.
This provider has a zero-logs policy, 256-bit encryption, and a customizable kill switch. You can also use the Stealth mode to bypass most restrictions online, including China's Great Firewall. PrivateVPN does not keep logs and offers live chat support during most of the day.
PrivateVPN offers Android, iOS, MacOS and Linux apps. You can also follow the manual setup instructions to install this service on network routers that support it.
- Provides faster than average speeds
- There are no issues with accessing Netflix and similar services
- VPN without logs with many security features
- Two hours per day, live chat is unavailable
- A small but rapidly expanding network of servers
Great VPN for EVERYDAY Use:PrivateVPN can access many restricted services in your region and is extremely fast. It's an excellent choice for all tasks, no matter if you're traveling in Japan or abroad. The best part is that this VPN has a 30-day money back guarantee.
How to watch Japanese Netflix outside of Japan
What VPN service can I use to stream Japanese Netflix?
Many free VPNs claim to offer all the same benefits as paid competitors, but without the disadvantages. There is no comparison. The free providers offer very few servers and are often limited in data. This makes them unsuitable for regular use. Because there are so many users, Netflix is able to easily blacklist and identify their servers. This network load can also cause extremely slow speeds. It is clear that Netflix Japan cannot be trusted to use free VPNs.
Security is a problem for these providers. Research has shown that nearly 40% of free VPN apps are bundled with malware, and another 18% fail to encrypt users' data. We recommend that you consider the reputation of a service, its logging policy and security features before using any free VPN app.
Is it legal for Japanese Netflix to be viewed with a VPN?
Contrary to what you might think most countries do not have laws that prohibit the use of VPNs to stream content from restricted regions. You shouldn't expect to be in trouble unless you live in a country like China or Iraq, where VPN use is prohibited or regulated.
This is technically against Netflix's terms and conditions. Even if it detects that your VPN is being used, the service will only show you a small selection of content until they disconnect. There have been no reports that anyone has been banned for using VPN to access Netflix.
What are the best Netflix Japan shows?
Netflix Japan is most famous for its ever-expanding library of anime. However, it also has many other shows and movies that are not available anywhere else in the world. Here is a quick overview of some of the exclusive content available in Japan's library.
- I will do it in the next life
- One Piece Stampede
- Ride Your Wave
- So, I'm a Spider.
- There are more than a dozen Godzilla movies
- Vanilla and coffee
- Path of the Dragons
- Terrace House (2014)
- Shadow's Back