Last Updated on February 11, 2024 by Walter
Is NordVPN good for Torrenting? We decided to test their torrenting capabilities. We have also read what Reddit/Quora had to say, asked questions, and then tested the speeds NordVPN on qBittorrent, uTorrent, and other torrent clients.
Table of Contents
Is NordVPN allowed to torrent?
Yes. NordVPN is one of few VPNs with a large network of P2P servers. NordVPN currently has more than 4,000 torrent servers.
Is NordVPN good for torrenting?
NordVPN is a torrent VPN that we believe to be one of the best. Here's what you get.
- NordVPN offers great P2P support. You can torrent on over 4,000 servers. You can also seed on their P2P servers.
- Download speeds up to 100Mbps – This is possible thanks to the large network of servers (you don’t have to deal with crowded servers), and NordLynx (the NordVPN protocol that uses WireGuard technology. It’s very fast). Research by AV-TEST has also shown NordVPN to be one of the fastest VPNs.
- No logs – This service doesn't store logs. It, therefore, has no idea of what files you download or browse. NordVPN was subject to two audits in order to support its claims, without the need for a protocol.
- Kill switch – NordVPN's Kill Switch protects against traffic leaks. We love that they offer two types of kill switches: one for the system (turns off web access if the VPN connection is lost), and one for the application (prevents certain applications from going online if the VPN connection fails).
- Advanced Security – This service uses AES-256 to protect your traffic and prevent P2P restrictions. All data is deleted after every reboot because the servers run on RAM only.
- Complete leakage protection – This VPN is the only one that provides complete leakage protection. You can run your own DNS servers to prevent DNS leaks and block unwanted WebRTC IP IP leaks. NordVPN was not found to have any leaks when we tested it.
- CyberSec – CyberSec from NordVPN is an ad-blocker. It will prevent you from connecting to dangerous websites, such as those that monitor shady torrents.
- Split-tunnel: This feature allows you to choose which traffic is encrypted. Split tunneling is used to route torrent client traffic through NordVPN servers. This allows for faster speeds.
- It is compatible with many platforms. There are apps for Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, and macOS. They all have an easy-to-use design.
- Multiple torrent clients supported – Provider support confirmed that the service worked with all clients (BitTorrent and qBittorrent as well as uTorrent, Vuze, and Deluge). You can find out more at
NordVPN Torrenting Speed Tests
To test how fast the downloads were, we used uTorrent and qBittorrent. We also tested a 12.69 GB file, NordLynx protocol, and three NordVPN servers in the UK, USA, and Japan. Our tester is from Romania. These are the original download speeds for qBittorrent and uTorrent: 30-35 MiB/s (qBittorrent), and 15-20 MB/s (uTorrent). They take about 10-15 minutes to download a file of 12.69GB in average.
The USA was the first time we used a P2P service. Although there was some slowdown, we were satisfied with the speeds: 13-15 Mbit/s (qBittorrent), and 4-5 Mbit/s (uTorrent). On qBittorrent, the average ETA was between 10-20 and 50 minutes.
We switched to the British and Japanese servers. The speeds were slower but still very good.
- Japan – 6-8 MiB/s (qBittorrent), and 2-3 MB/s (uTorrent). The average ETA was 30 minutes for qBittorrent and 1 hour and a quarter for uTorrent.
- United Kingdom – 5-7 Mbit/s (qBittorrent), and 3-4 Mb/s (uTorrent). Average ETA was between 30-35 and 1 hour and 40 minutes for qBittorrent and uTorrent.
The server was also tested in Serbia, the country where our test server was located. The speeds of NordVPN QBittorrent (uTorrent) were faster than expected: 25-30 Mbit/s (qBittorrent), and 7-9 Mbit/s (uTorrent).
OpenVPN was also tested via UDP on a Serbian server. This protocol is more resource-intensive, so download speeds were slower at 10-11 MiB/s (qBittorrent), and 1-2 Mb/s (uTorrent). To download the 12.69GB file, we had to wait between 20 and 25 minutes (qBittorrent), and nearly two hours (uTorrent).
Remember: You need lots of Seeders (people who upload torrents) to achieve high speed. You won't be able to download a file from many people if there aren't enough Seeders. If there aren't enough Seeders, your download won’t begin. We attempted to download torrents large enough to have a low seeder-leecher ratio (between 3-4 seeders and 100+ leechers) from the same servers (USA UK, Japan). Our NordVPN uTorrent speeds and qBittorrent speeds are close to zero.
What does it feel like to use NordVPN for torrenting on Reddit
We looked at a variety of Reddit threads in order to see what torrent users thought about NordVPN. Most users agree that NordVPN is fast, secure, and reliable. NordVPN was so popular that many users claimed they have never received an angry email from their ISP.
NordVPN Torrenting: Are there any disadvantages to torrenting?
Although torrenting and NordVPN go well together, we must highlight two issues.
1. NordVPN doesn't offer port forwarding
NordVPN doesn't allow port forwarding as the provider is concerned about user data being compromised. All ports other than those used by NordVPN or favorite services are automatically blocked by the application.
Redditors frequently consider port forwarding to have a major disadvantage. It speeds up downloads and allows you to connect with more peers. Port forwarding with other VPNs has never made us feel faster, so we can't be certain.
NordVPN stated that it may add port forwarding support to its services in the future.
2. NordVPN was the victim of a data breach
This is what many people claim and it means NordVPN is unsafe for torrenting. The truth is that only one server was attacked and no data was compromised by the hacker (user information, NordVPN code or tunnel encryption). The server also was not hacked by NordVPN, as the data center hosting it was negligent. NordVPN wasn't the only one to be affected. TorGuard, Avast, and others were also affected.
NordVPN resolved the problem by cutting all ties to the data center. They also use shared servers. They are basically the ones who deliver their servers to the data center. NordVPN employees are the only ones who have ownership. All NordVPN servers are run in RAM-disk mode. All data are deleted after each restart.
NordVPN offers secure torrenting, even though data breaches are a concern. NordVPN is still one of the best torrenting VPNs available.
NordVPN: How to torrent
- Register with NordVPN
- Install NordVPN.
- Connect to a P2P Server Tip: NordVPN will select the fastest server and country for you.
- Use your favorite program to download torrents.
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about NordVPN or torrenting. We'd love to hear from you.
Is NordVPN for Torrenting compatible with all clients?
You can use any app you like. All of them are supported by NordVPN, including BitTorrent, Deluge and uTorrent.
We contacted NordVPN support representatives to be certain. They confirmed that their service works with all clients. They said that qBittorrent was the best. We were able to get the fastest speeds using this torrent client so we are happy with their suggestion.
Is it possible to fix slow torrenting by NordVPN?
Some editors complained about the slow NordVPN torrent download speed. These are some ways to improve them.
- NordVPN offers thousands of torrent servers so it is easy to find one near you. You can choose one from your country or a neighboring nation.
- NordLynx and IKEv2 are faster than OpenVPN. IKEv2 can only be used with NordVPN on macOS or iOS.
- Use a different torrent client. We found that qBittorrent was faster than uTorrent in our tests. NordVPN support representatives recommended qBittorrent.
- Split tunneling – Force NordVPN is a way to encrypt traffic from only your torrent client. Faster downloads are possible with fewer data to encrypt or decrypt.
You can also use a SOCKS5 proxy to bypass a VPN. NordVPN offers a step-by-step guide that will help you. Your traffic will not be encrypted if you use a proxy. This will allow your ISP to monitor and limit your traffic if they wish.
What is the Best NordVPN P2P Torrenting server?
The closest NordVPN server to torrenting is the best. You will get a faster torrent download because your device exchanges data faster with the VPN server.
You may also want to try the NordVPN referral feature. Select P2P from the middle drop-down menu and click Show advanced options. NordVPN will tell you which server to use. You can filter the results to refine the results by selecting the protocol and country you wish to use.
Is it possible to torrent on NordVPN servers with no P2P?
NordVPN will direct your traffic to a Canada or Netherlands P2P server if you do this. The application can't disconnect you from the non-P2P server (it might reveal your IP), so your speed will be slower. Your data passes through two VPN servers.
It is indeed slowing down. We have tested it. We experienced a download speed of approximately 15-20 Mb/s when we used NordVPN's P2P server in Belgium. However, speeds dropped to 4-5 Mb/s when we used a server that did not have P2P in Belgium.
Is NordVPN safe for torrenting?
Yes. NordVPN is one of the best torrent VPNs available. Here are the reasons:
- VPN utilizes powerful encryption (AES256) to protect your data.
- NordVPN doesn't store protocols, and it has been audited twice in order to prove this.
- NordVPN uses only servers that are RAM-based (each restart wipes all data).
- NordVPN also offers leakage protection (WebRTC DNS, IPv6, and an extremely capable kill switch that works at both the system and application levels).
Is it possible to bind Torrent clients with NordVPN
It's possible, but not essential. NordVPN offers two options for killing your enemies:
- It shuts down your Internet access in the event of a VPN failure.
- It prevents an application from going online in the event of a VPN failure.
Flexibility is something we love. NordVPN can be configured to prevent unintentional loss of internet access. It will only stop your torrent client from being online if the VPN connection is lost.
- More than 5200+ servers around the world in over 59 countries
- CyberSec offers malware protection and ad blocking
- Next-generation encryption using dual VPN servers
- VPN traffic is obscured by confusion technology
- Logging is not permitted.
- It is compatible with Netflix and suitable for streaming
- The lightning speed with P2P Support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
See Also: Does NordVPN Work With Netflix Japan
NordVPN did an excellent job hiding torrent activity and keeping it secret. He passed all of the security checks without leaking any.
They are clearly passionate about what they do. They did everything possible to prove they were legitimate VPN providers who fully support P2P downloading.
It was easy to torrent with NordVPN protection. They are fast and reliable and are P2P-optimized servers that are easy to find.
We recommend NordVPN to anyone who is concerned about privacy and wants a reliable torrenting experience.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended for educational purposes only. My VPN Hub and I do not support downloading copyrighted content. A VPN can make torrenting safer and more secure.