Last Updated on May 16, 2022 by Walter
In this post, I'll explain the best way to watch Hulu Outside the US. Hulu is the second most popular streaming video service after Netflix. Hulu was created by three major US television networks, ABC, Fox, and NBC. You will find a lot of content from other networks, such as Nickelodeon and FX, and SyFy. Hulu has a greater number of TV episodes than Netflix, and they appear there the day after they air.
A VPN is required to be able to access Hulu's best content from any location. However, not all VPNs will work with Hulu.
This article will cover each VPN that works with Hulu in greater detail. Here are the top 6 VPNs that work with Hulu.
- NordVPN is the best VPN to unblock Hulu. You get lightning-fast speeds, top security features, and a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark An inexpensive, reliable VPN that works well with Hulu and other similar services. You can connect as many devices you wish.
- CyberGhost Works well with Hulu and has fast speeds
- PrivateVPN A great VPN that works well with Hulu.
- VyprVPN currently unblocks Hulu, as well as many other streaming services.
Hulu isn't as popular as Netflix, so don't be fooled by the idea that Hulu doesn't care about proxy users. The content is restricted to Japan and the US residents. Hulu will not allow you to view videos from other countries than those mentioned.
Sign up here to receive a 30-day free trial of NordVPN. The VPN rated #1 on Hulu is available for free for one month. This VPN is ideal if you are traveling abroad and want to enjoy your favorite shows.
There is no catch. Contact support within 30 days to cancel NordVPN and receive a full refund. Get your NordVPN trial started here.
Hulu's VPN ban surpasses Netflix's firewall. VPN (a virtual private network) encrypts all internet traffic from and to your computer and routes it through the VPN server at a location you choose. Hulu can see you as if you're in the United States. This allows you to access all of the shows.
Hulu and many other streaming sites block connections to known VPN servers. These servers share IP addresses with dozens, if not hundreds, of users simultaneously. Although this adds an extra layer of anonymity, it makes Hulu pretty aware of what's happening. This message appears when you try to view Hulu using a regular VPN.
We have detected that you are trying to access Hulu via an anonymous proxy. Hulu is currently unavailable outside of the US. To access Hulu videos, you will need to disengage your anonymizer if you are in the US.
This is why not any VPN service will work. VPN providers are unable to bypass Hulu’s firewall rules. Hulu's best VPNs usually have only a handful of servers that can bypass the proxy ban. For more information, contact customer service to find out which servers are able to access Hulu.
We've selected the best six Hulu VPNs according to the following criteria.
- Access Hulu from abroad
- Rapid speeds
- Servers in the USA that are not logged
- Fast customer support
- Reliable and secure connection
This article will provide more information on our testing process for the best Hulu VPNs.
Top VPNs for Hulu
Here's a comprehensive look at the top Hulu VPNs, as well as the privacy and blocking features they provide. You can read the complete reviews to learn more about these Hulu VPNs.
NordVPN has its SmartPlay DNS embedded in the VPN. This allows it to unblock many content providers including Hulu. The official NordVPN knowledgebase can be consulted or you can ask the live chat support to find out which servers to connect. NordVPN works with Netflix in many countries, including the US. It also supports other streaming services such as HBO and BBC iPlayer. This VPN is fast and will provide seamless streaming.
Strong encryption and a zero logs policy ensure that online security is secure. There are also servers that can be used for specific purposes, such as anti-DDoS and ultra-fast streaming. You can connect up to six devices with a single subscription.
There are apps available for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
Nord VPN speed testing data
Average Connection Speed – North America (USA)111.7 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Europe (UK)122.3 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Asia (Hong Kong)112.0 Mbps
- Unblock Hulu from anywhere
- High quality streaming with fast servers
- Apps with high-grade security and privacy built-in
- Strict no-logs policy
- Compatible with all popular streaming sites such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video.
- It may take some time to get used to the desktop app
BEST HULU VPN: NordVPN has been our top choice. It works well with Hulu. Strong security features allow up to six devices to be used simultaneously from the same account. You get a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee
Check out our complete review of NordVPN.
Save 72% and get 3 months for free
Get the Deal
Surfshark can be used to cut cords and access Hulu or other streaming services from overseas. Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections, so you don't have to worry about sharing your VPN with family members or friends. It works with Netflix US, UK, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and other video streaming services.
Surfshark is available in China. Surfshark offers 24/7 chat support. The service does not retain data, keeps no logs, and allows filesharing via P2P. Both desktop and mobile apps have kill switches.
There are apps available for Windows, macOS, and iOS.
Surfshark speed testing data
Average Connection Speed – North America (USA)170 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Europe (UK)230 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Asia (Hong Kong)220 Mbps
- It's great to access streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, or BBC iPlayer
- Solid speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Live chat available 24/7
- Global server network relatively small
- Sometimes slow server
BEST BUDGET VPN: Connect as many devices as you like to Surfshark and unblock Hulu quickly. It comes with strong security and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete Surfshark review.
Save 81% on a 2-year Plan
Cyber Ghost VPN
CyberGhost has increased its efforts to unblock streaming channels. It can now unblock many streaming channels including Hulu. You can even choose from a list of streaming servers that it can unblock based on which streaming services you are interested in, rather than just based on your location. You will need to choose the best Hulu streaming servers in the streaming sections of the apps in order to unblock Hulu. For a low price, you'll get high-quality encryption, no-logs policies, and super fast download speeds.
Apps are available on Windows, macOS, and iOS.
Cyber Ghost speed testing data
Average Connection Speed – North America (USA)78.7 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Europe (UK)54.7 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Asia (Hong Kong)39.3 Mbps
- It works well with Hulu, and other streaming sites
- Stream HD video in HD quality
- Apps are simple to install and easy to use
- It doesn't work reliably for China or UAE
Check out our complete CyberGhost review.
Save 83% and get 2 months free on your 2 year plan
PrivateVPN is a new provider that has a lot to offer those who are willing to use a small number of servers. PrivateVPN is a well-respected provider when it comes to blocking streaming sites. After submitting a query to the support team, we were able to unblock Hulu on two servers. PrivateVPN has a limited number of servers, but the ones it does have are fast and don't leave you waiting for a buffering icon. We have also been able to access Netflix in all countries we tested it in, even the US.
PrivateVPN does not compromise online privacy or digital security. PrivateVPN does not keep logs of user activity or IP addresses on its servers. It employs the same level of encryption as veteran providers.
There are apps available for Windows, macOS, and iOS.
Private VPN speed testing data
Average Connection Speed – North America (USA)94 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Europe (UK)56.7 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Asia (Hong Kong)61.7 Mbps
- Unblocks Hulu at decent streaming speeds
- Unblocks Hulu and Amazon Prime Video as well as BBC iPlayer
- No user-identifiable logs kept
- You may need assistance finding the right server
- Servers are few in number
PRIVATEVPN offers great speed and is a good choice for families. It unblocks Hulu, and is generally great for torrenting and browsing. You can use up to six devices. We could do with more servers, but lack 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete PrivateVPN review.
Get 77% off your two-year plan
VyprVPN was temporarily unavailable to allow unblocking of Hulu and other streaming services. However, we are happy to report that it is now fully operational. It was easy to find a server that worked with Hulu. Customers can also contact VyprVPN via live chat to ask which servers they should use. VyprVPN allows you to access US Netflix, HBO Now and HBO Go.
The company has its own global network servers that it operates. This allows users to stream in HD without buffering. Although the company employs some of the most powerful encryption available, it logs users' IP addresses. Torrenters and other users looking to protect their privacy may want to consider alternatives.
There are apps available for Windows, MacOS and iOS.
Speed test data for VyprVPN
Average Connection Speed – North America (USA)41 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Europe (UK)44.3 MbpsAverage Connection Speed – Asia (Hong Kong)47.3 Mbps
- Many streaming sites, including Hulu, can be unblocked by Unblocking
- Connection speeds can be fast and steady
- Strong privacy and security credentials
- More configuration options would be preferred by power users
- This is not the most affordable option on the list
- There is no cryptocurrency payment method.
UNLIMITED DATA USE: VyprVPN makes it easy to use. VyprVPN servers provide excellent speed and uptime. It is not the most affordable option. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete VyprVPN review.
Save 87% on your three-year plan
Other streaming services recommended
BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO MaxBBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO MaxNetflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO MaxBBC iPlayer, Netflix, Disney+, HBO MaxBBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO Max
Average Speed (USA).
6 devicesUnlimited5 devices7 devices6 devices3 devices
A VPN allows you to access Hulu from anywhere in the world.
A VPN can be used to alter your virtual location, tricking Hulu into believing you have an IP from another country. It is simple to unblock Hulu using a VPN once you have identified the server to connect to.
Here are some ways to watch Hulu using a VPN.
- Register for a VPN and download it to Hulu. Nord VPN is the best option.
- Download the VPN app directly from your provider's official app store or website
- Start the VPN app to choose a server that can unblock Hulu. Ask your VPN's customer support or visit its website if you are unsure.
- Start streaming by opening Hulu via a web browser, or using the Hulu app.
You might have to change some settings on your device if you continue to receive an error message. IPv6 leaks can be a problem. Below are instructions for disabling IPv6 on Windows and Mac. Also, you might try clearing your browser cache and cookies. Contact your VPN customer support for any other issues.
Also see: Watch Hulu in Singapore
What VPN can I use to watch Hulu online?
You might be able to find a free VPN service that has a VPN server that unblocks Hulu. However, a paid VPN is the best and most reliable way to do so. When they are blacklisted by Hulu, free VPN providers don’t have the resources or ability to change their VPN server IP addresses or domains. Even if you do find a free Hulu VPN, it won't likely last.
Free VPN providers often use slow and congested servers. Expect to experience a lot of buffering and disruptions in service. You could lose your connection during a show if you exceed the bandwidth limit of free VPN services.
No VPN is free. Free VPNs can monitor your web traffic, mine data, place tracking cookies in your browser and sell the information to advertisers. To make quick money, some VPNs have been known to redirect users to the wrong websites. According to the old saying, “If you don't buy it, you are the product.”
How to navigate around Hulu Home Location Error
Hulu requires that users set up a home network within the first 30 days of signing up for the service. This is to prevent account sharing and give access to local channels. You can also limit the types of devices that will work when you watch outside your home.
A Firestick or other gaming console may not be able to stream Hulu unless they are connected to your home network. You can't stream to your Firestick or Firestick if you share your password.
They might instead get an error message such as this:
> Your Hulu subscription permits you to use this type of device only on your home network. Please update your Hulu Account settings to your computer if you have changed your internet provider or moved.
> Video not available at this location
Other reasons for these errors include Hulu not identifying your current network, using shared wi-fi networks, not checking in on the smartphone, and using non-compatible VPNs.
You will need to upgrade your home network in order to fix this problem. This can be difficult if you use a VPN as your IP address changes each time you connect to it. You can choose to have your VPN use a static or dedicated IP address. This will ensure that it doesn't change.
Once you are connected to the VPN server or network that you wish to use, you can watch Hulu.
- Log out of Hulu
- Log in to a streaming device such as a Firestick or Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, and smart TV.
- Your Hulu account page can be accessed via the desktop website or smartphone app.
- Click Privacy and Settings
- Click on Set or Change Home to create your network.
You might encounter the same error if you try to access Hulu from a mobile device or laptop outside your home. Hulu might ask you to verify that you are actually living in the same area as the account holder and not just borrowing money from a friend. Hulu can be accessed by connecting to your home network.
You can only change the home network four times a year.
Hulu + Live TV can only be used in your own home.
Hulu VPN testing methodology
Comparitech strives to provide the best VPN reviews and recommendations online. Comparitech reviews every VPN on the basis of real-world experience, expert analysis, and a series of tests.
We have done extensive research on Hulu VPNs:
Access to Hulu from overseas: We have run over 3,000 streaming tests in real life this year to determine which VPNs are capable of unblocking Hulu on mobile and desktop.
Speed: A fast VPN is essential to stream 4K and HD videos without buffering. Speed testing VPN connections to servers around the world is done by us.
Protection against leaks: Windows 10 users are particularly vulnerable to IPv6 leaks. These leaks can reveal your true location and IP address which can then be used to tip Hulu to your exact location. Every VPN is tested for IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks.
Customer support: To gauge the quality and response time of each VPN recommended, we contact their customer service desks as secret shoppers.
We also evaluate each VPN's encryption scheme and logging policy as well as their ability to block other streaming services. Learn more about our methodology page for VPN analysis.
Hulu VPN unblocking FAQs
What VPNs won't work with Hulu
As of the writing of this article, these VPNs are not compatible with Hulu:
- Hotspot Shield
- Private Internet Access (PIA).
Is Hulu allowed to use VPNs?
Although Hulu's Terms of Service do not mention VPNs or proxy services, it does say the following which could be taken to include VPN services.
Directly or indirectly, you may not remove, alter or bypass any trademarks, copyrights, or other proprietary notices on the Content, any digital rights management mechanisms, devices, or any other content protection or access control measures associated with the Content, including geo-filtering.
Hulu continues to state that if you violate this rule, the company may notify you and prevent you from accessing the service. As far as we are able to interpret, it does not mention account suspension or termination. We have not heard of any case in which a Hulu user has been penalized for using VPNs other than the error message shown in the video player. Virtually all countries have VPNs that are legal.
How can I download Hulu from outside the US
Hulu can only be downloaded from the US app stores. If your device is registered in an app store outside of the US, you will need one of these:
- Modify the location of your app store account
- Register for an account in the US app store
- The Hulu APK can be downloaded from a third party (Android only).
We will show you how to get the Hulu app on Android and iOS from outside the US.
iOS (iPhones, iPads, Apple TV)
- Connect to the USA server using your VPN.
- It is better to create a new account than change your existing one. This will not impact your purchases and apps. Register for an Apple ID to create a new account in the US.
- If you want to change an account to the US, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store. View your Apple ID. Change country/region.
- Select the USA as your country
- You can choose none as your payment method (but you will still need to use a US payment option to pay Hulu).
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- Connect to the USA server using your VPN.
- Go to payments.google.com
- Go to Settings > Edit
- You can change your address to one in the USA. Verify that the zip code is correct.
- Accept any changes
- Close the Play Store app on your device
- Find the Google Play Store in Apps
- Select Force Stop, Clear All Data
- You should now be able to download and install Hulu from the Play Store.
You can also change your registered location to the USA if your device does not have Google Play.
You can also download the Hulu APK file from a third party as a last resort. In your device settings, you will need to enable apps from unknown sources. Third-party APK websites can contain malicious or outdated versions of popular apps.
How do I pay Hulu outside of the US?
Hulu does not require you to have an IP address in the United States. Payments must also be made from the US. This can be difficult if you don't have a PayPal account or a credit card in the country.
There are several solutions that work. We haven't tested them all.
- A Hulu gift card
- This website sells prepaid gift cards for $30. We have not tried the linked service, so you should do your research.
- StatesPay, another virtual credit card provider, costs $3.95 per monthly. You should be able pay the initial month of the account to open it and then use Hulu gift card to make any subsequent payments. As of this writing, the site does not accept new sign-ups. However, you may have to wait until the service becomes available again.
- Prepaid cards linked to an American address by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover
- You can change the country of PayPal or create a new PayPal account that is based in America.
Is it possible to slow down my connection by using Hulu and a VPN?
VPNs can slow down your connection in some way due to the amount of time required to send data to and from the VPN server, as well as the encryption and decryption processes. The VPNs that we recommend are sufficient to stream Hulu will provide enough bandwidth. VPNs that are free or low quality will not offer sufficient bandwidth to stream high-quality video streaming.
Also see: What to do when your laptop is slow?
How do I watch Hulu Japan on my computer?
To watch Hulu Japan outside Japan, you will need to connect to a VPN server. You can still access Japan-only Hulu content even if your account was not created in Japan. We recommend VPNs that have servers in Japan. However, we only test VPNs that work with Hulu's US version.
Is it possible to watch live sports on Hulu?
If you have the Hulu+ Live TV package, you can view live sports on Hulu. The Hulu + Live TV package costs $55 per month and adds live TV channels to your basic streaming service. Fox Sports, ESPN, and NBCSN are just a few of the sports channels available.
You can also access Hulu live TV from outside the USA by connecting to a VPN server.
My Hulu won't let me log into my account.
You can log in to Hulu if you have signed up but are having trouble logging in.
- Correct email address and password combination
- Your subscription is active
- To connect to Hulu via a US server, you can either access it from the US using one of the VPNs mentioned above.
- Your payment method, such as your credit card, is valid and still valid.
- You might need to activate Hulu via another streaming service or bundle.
- Live TV plans require that you set up your Home network in your living room and log in at least once per 30 days. You can stream only to your living room from your home network. Your home network can only be changed four times per year.
- The Hulu app has been updated.
- You can enable location services on your browser and device.
- Clear your web cache and cookies.
I Can't Sign Up For Hulu. What should I do next?
Hulu is only available in Japan and the USA. You will need an American payment method, such as a US credit card. To change your IP address and thus your location to the USA or Japan if you are not located in these countries, you will need a VPN. You should be able to sign up for Hulu with a US IP address.
What share of the streaming market does Hulu own?
It all depends on who you ask. Hulu's market share can be measured using many metrics. Streaming services don't usually publish exact subscriber numbers. Hulu's US streaming subscription market share is expected to range between 13 and 20 percent by 2021.
Is Hulu available for Indian users?
Hulu isn't available in India. If you are in India and have access to a US payment method you can sign up for American Hulu.
Is Hulu available in UAE?
Hulu isn't available in the UAE. Hulu is only available in Japan and the USA. You can sign up for Hulu if you are in the UAE with a US payment method.
Is it legal to use a VPN with Hulu?
It is legal to use a VPN with Hulu. Only exceptions apply if VPNs are banned in your country. This is only one exception in the entire world. The terms of service prohibit the use of a VPN or other proxy to bypass Hulu’s location restrictions.
Although it is illegal to use a VPN to access Hulu abroad, it is not strictly prohibited. Hulu can suspend or terminate any account of a VPN user, but this has never been done before. Hulu instead tries to prevent VPN users from watching when a VPN connection has been detected.
How to disable IPv6
Even if you use the VPN providers listed here, you might still get an error message from Hulu telling you to disable your “anonymous proxy.” This happens because most VPN services don't protect against IPv6 leaks. Although a VPN connection can route all traffic requests through its DNS servers, masking your IPv4 address will not be possible. However, IPv6 addresses are still sent and received without being hidden. IPv6 is the same as IPv4, but it has a wider range of IP addresses that can be used to connect to the internet.
Hulu has a solution: Disable IPv6. It is imperfect, but it works. It's imperfect, but it would be better for everyone to switch over to IPv6 as the IPv4 protocol runs out of unique IP addresses. While IPv4 may be bad for the internet's long-term health, it will not affect other aspects of the internet.
How to disable IPv6 in Windows 10:
- Disconnect the VPN app and close it
- To open the Run prompt, tap Windows Key+R
- To open your Network Connections, type ncpa.cpl then hit Enter
- Locate the connection that you want to use, click it and choose Properties
- Uncheck the box labeled “Internet Protocol Version 6” (TCP/IPv6) on the Networking or General tab.
- To save your changes and close the window, click OK
- Tap Windows Key+R to select Command Prompt(Admin) and then hit Yes to allow the program to make any changes to your computer.
- Type ipconfig/flushdns into the black command prompt and hit Enter.
- Connect to the VPN and refresh the Hulu page to enjoy the video.
How to disable IPv6 in Mac OSX
- Disconnect the VPN app and close it
- Open the Apple menu.
- Select System Preferences > Network > AirPort> Advanced
- Click TCP/IP.
- Click on Configure IPv6 and choose Off.
- To apply the change, click OK and Apply.
- Connect to the VPN and refresh the Hulu page to enjoy the video.